This year the latest diet craze that everyone is trying is the Ketogenic Diet or better known as the Keto Diet, but we have some questions on what exactly is the Keto Diet and Is it good for you? So, we did some research and here Is what we found.
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
It is a low-carb, high-fat diet that shifts the body’s metabolism away from carbs and towards fat and ketones. It forces the body to burn fats instead of carbs. By cutting the carbs you consume and eating good fats you enter a ketosis state.
What are the advantages?
- You will lose weight fast if done properly.
- Low-carbs diet kills your appetite.
- Reduces blood sugar levels.
- Reduces insulin levels which is improvement for type two diabetes
- Reduces seizures in children with epilepsy
- Low-carb diets are good for people diagnosed with brain disorders.
- Increases mental focus.
- Increases energy
- Reduces blood pressure.
Foods to avoid?
- Fruits high in sugar
- Avoid vegetables grown below ground
- Sodas and Juices
Foods to eat?
- Low-carb foods
- Unprocessed meats
- Fish and seafood
- Vegetables grown above ground
- High-fat dairy
- Coffee no sugar
- Water, of course
Although many of those things listed above sound nice, especially if you are trying to lose weight fast. Is it really the healthiest way to do it? Well, some studies did show that it was safe for significantly obese and overweight people. However, other studies show that patient who are on low carbohydrate diets regain their weight within a year span.
There were a few things that may have caused some concerns when starting the Ketogenic Diet
- Emotionally Exhausting
- Trigger Eating Disorders
- Brain Fog
- Throw off Hydration Levels
- “Keto Flu”
- Weight Regain
- Increased Risk of Heart Disease and Diabetes
Ultimately, the decision is yours to make because it’s your body and you have to do what works for you. I would suggest getting in touch with a nutritionist and see what they would recommend for your body type.